Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 25 post(s)
Dreez
Dreez
Destructive Influence
Band of Brothers

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.12 20:16:00 - [61]

As long as CCP dont change towards the 64bit technology im staying relaxed.
64bit is still very instable with software not fully developed
and drivers being lacking.

TomB, Tux & Oveur comming home from the latest meeting
for denying blastership boosts.
BRooDJeRo
BRooDJeRo

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.12 21:59:00 - [62]

Sounds good kieron

BRooDJeRo
BRooDJeRo
Insane Rocketeers

Posted - 2005.10.12 21:59:00 - [63]

Sounds good kieron
SengH
SengH

Posted - 2005.10.12 23:34:00 - [64]

server side 64bit has been in use for years. Its just desktop 64bit support that sucks.
SengH
SengH
Black Omega Security
Pandemic Legion

Posted - 2005.10.12 23:34:00 - [65]

server side 64bit has been in use for years. Its just desktop 64bit support that sucks.
Pwyle Kenobi
Pwyle Kenobi

Posted - 2005.10.13 04:45:00 - [66]

Edited by: Pwyle Kenobi on 13/10/2005 04:49:06
Thanks to CCP for investing the necessary funds to further improve what is already a kick arse game! I hope the install goes smoothly for you guys. Bring it on!

EDIT: BTW, hint received loud and clear! Very Happy

Pwyle Kenobi
Pwyle Kenobi
Caldari
InterSun Freelance

Posted - 2005.10.13 04:45:00 - [67]

Edited by: Pwyle Kenobi on 13/10/2005 04:49:06
Thanks to CCP for investing the necessary funds to further improve what is already a kick arse game! I hope the install goes smoothly for you guys. Bring it on!

EDIT: BTW, hint received loud and clear! Very Happy

Testy Mctest
Testy Mctest

Posted - 2005.10.13 13:35:00 - [68]

Originally by: Bon Hedus
Can I have the old hardware?Cool

Horray for the upgrade!Very Happy

Think the old hardware was a pencil and a piece of paper anyway...

Dyslexics of the world, Untie!
Testy Mctest
Testy Mctest

Posted - 2005.10.13 13:35:00 - [69]

Horray for the upgrade!Very Happy

Think the old hardware was a pencil and a piece of paper anyway...

Scrapheap Challenge Forums
Magnum III
Magnum III

Posted - 2005.10.13 21:10:00 - [70]

Upgrades are fun! Thanks. I did not think these types of big ram hard drives would be out already.

I think all computers will use this technology in the years to come.

Magnum III
Magnum III
Journey On Squad

Posted - 2005.10.13 21:10:00 - [71]

Upgrades are fun! Thanks. I did not think these types of big ram hard drives would be out already.

I think all computers will use this technology in the years to come.

Grainsalt
Grainsalt

Posted - 2005.10.13 22:00:00 - [72]

All training times are forward calculated anyway, e.g. I select a skill and it marks in the DB the time it will end.. So an offline database should just need to be restored without calculation. At least that would be the sensible way of coding it Very Happy

Originally by: Ehrine Ashbark
won't need that to be honest. All they have to do is work out how long the the database was offlimits for and then scroll the training that far forwards. It should be simple maths to work out how much each character should have trained.

Grainsalt
Grainsalt
Free Corp

Posted - 2005.10.13 22:00:00 - [73]

All training times are forward calculated anyway, e.g. I select a skill and it marks in the DB the time it will end.. So an offline database should just need to be restored without calculation. At least that would be the sensible way of coding it Very Happy

Originally by: Ehrine Ashbark
won't need that to be honest. All they have to do is work out how long the the database was offlimits for and then scroll the training that far forwards. It should be simple maths to work out how much each character should have trained.

---

Dreez
Dreez

Posted - 2005.10.13 22:38:00 - [74]

1 Year Ago :
A fleet of about 50+ ships jumps in to any ordinary system
without any flaw. no pilots are losing connection or warping
away due to long loadingtimes.

Today :
Fleet of 30+ ships jumps at the same time, ships getting warped
of due to long loadingtimes, other pilots CTDs.

Please dont take this post as somekind of rant, im just
trying to explain the current serversituation from a players
point of view. I sencerely hope that these are some of the
issues that will be fixed by this upgrade.

I might have ATUKO in my tag, but i have OC in my DNA
Dreez
Dreez
Destructive Influence
Band of Brothers

Posted - 2005.10.13 22:38:00 - [75]

1 Year Ago :
A fleet of about 50+ ships jumps in to any ordinary system
without any flaw. no pilots are losing connection or warping
away due to long loadingtimes.

Today :
Fleet of 30+ ships jumps at the same time, ships getting warped
of due to long loadingtimes, other pilots CTDs.

Please dont take this post as somekind of rant, im just
trying to explain the current serversituation from a players
point of view. I sencerely hope that these are some of the
issues that will be fixed by this upgrade.

TomB, Tux & Oveur comming home from the latest meeting
for denying blastership boosts.
Darius Shakor
Darius Shakor

Posted - 2005.10.13 23:34:00 - [76]

Originally by: kieron
Originally by: Darius Shakor
You realise that if it doesn't work, then there will be several planes full of angry fans heading there on the 20th for the fanfest.Laughing

Why do you think there is a party on the 23rd? Last I heard, there were plans for libations of the alcoholic nature, in addition to Devs acting silly, music and who knows what other shenanigans!

Ahh, compensation or just rotting the memory implants. Eitherway, all good and I look forwards to it.Very Happy

And if this all works well, I guess the devs deserve the chill out afterwards.Wink
------

Pain is meant to be felt. It is meant to exist.
Darius Shakor
Darius Shakor
Minmatar
Re-Awakened Technologies Inc
Electus Matari

Posted - 2005.10.13 23:34:00 - [77]

Originally by: Darius Shakor
You realise that if it doesn't work, then there will be several planes full of angry fans heading there on the 20th for the fanfest.Laughing

Why do you think there is a party on the 23rd? Last I heard, there were plans for libations of the alcoholic nature, in addition to Devs acting silly, music and who knows what other shenanigans!

Ahh, compensation or just rotting the memory implants. Eitherway, all good and I look forwards to it.Very Happy

And if this all works well, I guess the devs deserve the chill out afterwards.Wink
------
Shakor Clan Information Portal
Dale Cussler
Dale Cussler

Posted - 2005.10.14 00:52:00 - [78]

I think you'd have to stand in line to get the old stuff. Very Happy

On a more serious note, the older equipment will still be used. This is not a complete change over from old to new, but an upgrade of the existing equipment. Replacing all the old gear is an investment of major proportions and is under discussion. This is just the first step.

Sssoooooo.... where can we take our number to get in line for when the old equipment ceases to be equipment and starts to be potential landfill? I want a piece of history, dangit.

And uh, great purchase on the RamSan -- I've seen one of them things in action and the performance of it should be enough to make any self-respecting hardware geek go "omgwtfbbqorgazmz0r".

Or that could just be me YARRRR!!
/Dale
Dale Cussler
Dale Cussler
Gallente
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion

Posted - 2005.10.14 00:52:00 - [79]

I think you'd have to stand in line to get the old stuff. Very Happy

On a more serious note, the older equipment will still be used. This is not a complete change over from old to new, but an upgrade of the existing equipment. Replacing all the old gear is an investment of major proportions and is under discussion. This is just the first step.

Sssoooooo.... where can we take our number to get in line for when the old equipment ceases to be equipment and starts to be potential landfill? I want a piece of history, dangit.

And uh, great purchase on the RamSan -- I've seen one of them things in action and the performance of it should be enough to make any self-respecting hardware geek go "omgwtfbbqorgazmz0r".

Or that could just be me YARRRR!!
darphius
darphius

Posted - 2005.10.14 06:32:00 - [80]

perhaps when the old gear becomes of new use it will be dropped in a loot can by a 2k rat in 0.8 sec
darphius
darphius

Posted - 2005.10.14 06:32:00 - [81]

perhaps when the old gear becomes of new use it will be dropped in a loot can by a 2k rat in 0.8 sec
Ralitge boyter
Ralitge boyter

Posted - 2005.10.14 08:09:00 - [82]

Great news. \0/ for solid state disks.

CCP would you be so kind as to show us some stats that would show the average user what kind of improvement this has made to the preformance of the system. Would be cool to see if you are closer to the 2 or the 25% speed increase as their marketing pitch states.

As for the old hardware in stead of the loot drop how about distributing it among E-on readers. Anyone with a years subscription is automaticly enterd in to the competition. Or even better just do away with the competition and send it all to me you have my address I am sure as E-on (a great magazine by the way) arived right on time.
Ralitge boyter
Ralitge boyter
Minmatar
Mordus Angels

Posted - 2005.10.14 08:09:00 - [83]

Great news. \0/ for solid state disks.

CCP would you be so kind as to show us some stats that would show the average user what kind of improvement this has made to the preformance of the system. Would be cool to see if you are closer to the 2 or the 25% speed increase as their marketing pitch states.

As for the old hardware in stead of the loot drop how about distributing it among E-on readers. Anyone with a years subscription is automaticly enterd in to the competition. Or even better just do away with the competition and send it all to me you have my address I am sure as E-on (a great magazine by the way) arived right on time.
-------------------------------------------
Should you disagree with me, well I guess that is because I disagree with you. If you have a problem with that please feel free not to tell me.
SengH
SengH

Posted - 2005.10.14 08:57:00 - [84]

an estimate for performance would be running a program totally off your system memory rather than going thru the harddrive. This link might be a bit more informative.

http://www.superspeed.com/images/pc-mag.gif

This is a small ramdrive program you can use for desktops to create a "ramdrive" off your own system memory. The only downside is that every time you shut your computer down you lose everything. The solid state drives that CCP bough do NOT suffer from this and that drives up the cost considerably. When you have a bunch of them in an array, the bandwidth you have is virtually unlimited in comparison to everything else in the system. In fact the next most probable bottleneck would be the servers itself/ the gigabit NICs interconnecting them... (more likely the servers though).
SengH
SengH
Black Omega Security
Pandemic Legion

Posted - 2005.10.14 08:57:00 - [85]

an estimate for performance would be running a program totally off your system memory rather than going thru the harddrive. This link might be a bit more informative.

http://www.superspeed.com/images/pc-mag.gif

This is a small ramdrive program you can use for desktops to create a "ramdrive" off your own system memory. The only downside is that every time you shut your computer down you lose everything. The solid state drives that CCP bough do NOT suffer from this and that drives up the cost considerably. When you have a bunch of them in an array, the bandwidth you have is virtually unlimited in comparison to everything else in the system. In fact the next most probable bottleneck would be the servers itself/ the gigabit NICs interconnecting them... (more likely the servers though).
Drogos
Drogos

Posted - 2005.10.14 13:26:00 - [86]

Is 128GB enough to hold the entire database, or is this going to be used in a caching setup?

The latter seems more likely, as I can't see 128GB being enough to hold all the information accumulated by ~75,000 subscribers, in ~5000 star systems, with millions upon millons of little bits of data representing assets.

Anyone from CCP care to comment?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated.
-Sun Tzu
Drogos
Drogos
Slacker Industries
Exuro Mortis

Posted - 2005.10.14 13:26:00 - [87]

Is 128GB enough to hold the entire database, or is this going to be used in a caching setup?

The latter seems more likely, as I can't see 128GB being enough to hold all the information accumulated by ~75,000 subscribers, in ~5000 star systems, with millions upon millons of little bits of data representing assets.

Anyone from CCP care to comment?
Kropotkin
Kropotkin

Posted - 2005.10.14 21:26:00 - [88]

... Replacing all the old gear is an investment of major proportions and is under discussion. ...

Wait a year: you'll be able to get this:

http://www.mc.com/cell/press2.cfm

Quote:

The Dual Cell-Based Blade, based on IBM's industry-leading BladeCenter(R) design, will offer unprecedented peak performance of 400 GFLOPS and feature two IBM Cell BE processors, as well as XDR(TM) memory from Rambus Inc.

Kropotkin
Kropotkin
Gallente
Center for Advanced Studies

Posted - 2005.10.14 21:26:00 - [89]

... Replacing all the old gear is an investment of major proportions and is under discussion. ...

Quote:

The Dual Cell-Based Blade, based on IBM's industry-leading BladeCenter(R) design, will offer unprecedented peak performance of 400 GFLOPS and feature two IBM Cell BE processors, as well as XDR(TM) memory from Rambus Inc.

SengH
SengH

Posted - 2005.10.14 22:38:00 - [90]

Edited by: SengH on 14/10/2005 22:48:54
Originally by: Kropotkin

Quote:

uhh Cell isnt even an x86 based system AFAIK. That would require a TOTAL code rewrite from the ground up for custom hardware which isnt ever going to happen. Also GFLOPS is not the only thing that people look at when buying server hardware.

Edit: The'd have to rewrite everything from the node handling software to the proxys. All in in-order code. It would be suicide if they attempted something like that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,08s, ref 20240607/1211
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.