Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 25 post(s)
Gwenvahar
Gwenvahar

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.11 22:33:00 - [31]

quarter mill is nothing really.. Idustrial hardware comes with industrial price tags.. All in all that is also payment for the support and leadership of the people who provide the hardware, in this case IBM I believe. For that money you tend to get something better than a support phone number to call in case of issues. I believe when they put everything in, a support team from IBM will be on site to provide support. I dunno if they are getting a permanant rep from IBM to camp-out at CCP to keep tabs on the hardware, but in some deals this is also a viable option.
Frank Horrigan
Frank Horrigan

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.11 23:02:00 - [32]

Originally by: Eninaj Sregor

LIST Price $252,720 USD

Shocked

you could have just given 3 dollars and 36 cents...

I could buy extra fries at lunch!

Man but I guess it isint expensive considering its only like 1/4th everyones 1 month payment.. guessing there are 75000 subscribers.

Frank Horrigan
Frank Horrigan

Posted - 2005.10.11 23:02:00 - [33]

Originally by: Eninaj Sregor

LIST Price $252,720 USD

Shocked

you could have just given 3 dollars and 36 cents...

I could buy extra fries at lunch!

Man but I guess it isint expensive considering its only like 1/4th everyones 1 month payment.. guessing there are 75000 subscribers.

ManOfHonor
ManOfHonor

Posted - 2005.10.11 23:25:00 - [34]

yay for the upgrade!!

\o/
Strength Of Self
ManOfHonor
ManOfHonor
Minmatar
Shinra
Lotka Volterra

Posted - 2005.10.11 23:25:00 - [35]

yay for the upgrade!!

\o/
Esrevatem Dlareme

Posted - 2005.10.12 02:29:00 - [36]

Originally by: F'nog
What, is CCP too cheap to get the Tera Ramsan???

I'm sure it's less than Iceland's GDP.
WinkWinkWinkWink

Actually the database isn't that big, so the "Tera RamSan" would've been just waaaay too much, and downright wasteful. The real problem is I/O speed. The makers of thes RamSan modules claims the 400 model can do 40,000 I/O's per second. Very Happy

I think back to all the events that have brought me here.
And I realize...
I realize I was ment to come here.
Someone wanted me to come here.
And now, I have come here.
Esrevatem Dlareme
Esrevatem Dlareme
Gallente
Happy Happyism

Posted - 2005.10.12 02:29:00 - [37]

Originally by: F'nog
What, is CCP too cheap to get the Tera Ramsan???

I'm sure it's less than Iceland's GDP.
WinkWinkWinkWink

Actually the database isn't that big, so the "Tera RamSan" would've been just waaaay too much, and downright wasteful. The real problem is I/O speed. The makers of thes RamSan modules claims the 400 model can do 40,000 I/O's per second. Very Happy

I think back to all the events that have brought me here.
And I realize...
I realize I was ment to come here.
Someone wanted me to come here.
And now, I have come here.
Jesters Knight
Jesters Knight

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:01:00 - [38]

Originally by: SengH
LOL you should take a look at the mission critical servers that banks use. Those make $200k look like pocket change lol.

not only does each major system have a GINORMUS price tag, but for a bank they need 2 or 3 of each system to make sure they have redundancy and backup systems.
Jesters Knight
Jesters Knight
Eclipse Enterprises
Empire Research

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:01:00 - [39]

Originally by: SengH
LOL you should take a look at the mission critical servers that banks use. Those make $200k look like pocket change lol.

not only does each major system have a GINORMUS price tag, but for a bank they need 2 or 3 of each system to make sure they have redundancy and backup systems.

Highsec POS's
Skip the wait and research in the fast lane

"i'll make you phishers of men" just doensn't sound
Snappers
Snappers

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:11:00 - [40]

Edited by: Snappers on 12/10/2005 08:11:23
This newsitem has a hint

Can someone explain to me what that means? Its at the bottom of the news item, what hint?!? Am i really that stupid?

Snappers
Snappers

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:11:00 - [41]

This newsitem has a hint

Can someone explain to me what that means? Its at the bottom of the news item, what hint?!? Am i really that stupid?

Eyeshadow
Eyeshadow

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:28:00 - [42]

Originally by: Snappers
This newsitem has a hint

click it Smile

My Latest Vid: Linky
Eyeshadow
Eyeshadow
Caldari
The xDEATHx Squadron

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:28:00 - [43]

This newsitem has a hint

click it Smile

Snappers
Snappers

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:37:00 - [44]

Originally by: Eyeshadow
This newsitem has a hint

Ahh i feel so stupid now, but to explain what happend, i clicked it and nothing happened so i had to refresh my page and it showed :)

/me crawls back to his corner
click it Smile

Snappers
Snappers

Posted - 2005.10.12 08:37:00 - [45]

Originally by: Eyeshadow
This newsitem has a hint

Ahh i feel so stupid now, but to explain what happend, i clicked it and nothing happened so i had to refresh my page and it showed :)

/me crawls back to his corner
click it Smile

Hastrabull
Hastrabull

Posted - 2005.10.12 13:09:00 - [46]

If you think servers costs alot...

In my bank, servers that i work on cost around $11M (cluster of six servers).
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hastrabull
Hastrabull
Caldari
FATAL REVELATIONS
FATAL Alliance

Posted - 2005.10.12 13:09:00 - [47]

If you think servers costs alot...

In my bank, servers that i work on cost around $11M (cluster of six servers).
UBER NATOR
UBER NATOR

Posted - 2005.10.12 14:14:00 - [48]

Guys lets not forget that CCP is not a bank.....
It's really great to see what these guys are doing with our subs.
I hope the delivery and installation doesn't get put back and goes as smooth as possible.
However this looks like a massive update so i have all my fingers and toes crossed for all the CCP staff and installation team.

Uber Nator
UBER NATOR
UBER NATOR
Mean Corp

Posted - 2005.10.12 14:14:00 - [49]

Guys lets not forget that CCP is not a bank.....
It's really great to see what these guys are doing with our subs.
I hope the delivery and installation doesn't get put back and goes as smooth as possible.
However this looks like a massive update so i have all my fingers and toes crossed for all the CCP staff and installation team.

Uber Nator
Greavus
Greavus

Posted - 2005.10.12 14:36:00 - [50]

WOW!! Shocked

Really nice piece of kit

/me searches the local paper for a "cheap" version ugh
Greavus
Greavus
Minmatar
House of Tempers

Posted - 2005.10.12 14:36:00 - [51]

WOW!! Shocked

Really nice piece of kit

/me searches the local paper for a "cheap" version ugh
Locke DieDrake
Locke DieDrake

Posted - 2005.10.12 15:31:00 - [52]

As someone that works with large, high speed storage arrays, all I can say is :drool:.

I think that about covers it. Oh, and /me wants.

Locke DieDrake
Locke DieDrake
Human Information Virus

Posted - 2005.10.12 15:31:00 - [53]

As someone that works with large, high speed storage arrays, all I can say is :drool:.

I think that about covers it. Oh, and /me wants.

Posted - 2005.10.12 16:18:00 - [54]

So this morning I was checking up on the Eve news, when I saw this bit about the storage server. I had a look at the website, and it does indeed look like and insanely hardcore piece of kit.

Bit later on today I was at the Storage Expo at Olympia in London. I'm walking around, drooling at all the kit, pretending that my company can actually afford any of it Wink when what do I spy? It's none other than CCP's latest hardware purchase being demoed. It's hooked up to a monitor and running IOMeter, with a nice dial showing how many IOs per second it's doing - it was off the scale Twisted Evil

I talk to the guy at the stand, tell him I was just reading about his piece of kit this morning, because an online game that I play is going to be introducing one. He asks what the game is. I say it's Eve and the company is CCP. He goes "ah right, that's those crazy guys in Iceland, right?".

'nuff said Wink
rowbin hod
rowbin hod
Brutor tribe

Posted - 2005.10.12 16:18:00 - [55]

So this morning I was checking up on the Eve news, when I saw this bit about the storage server. I had a look at the website, and it does indeed look like and insanely hardcore piece of kit.

Bit later on today I was at the Storage Expo at Olympia in London. I'm walking around, drooling at all the kit, pretending that my company can actually afford any of it Wink when what do I spy? It's none other than CCP's latest hardware purchase being demoed. It's hooked up to a monitor and running IOMeter, with a nice dial showing how many IOs per second it's doing - it was off the scale Twisted Evil

I talk to the guy at the stand, tell him I was just reading about his piece of kit this morning, because an online game that I play is going to be introducing one. He asks what the game is. I say it's Eve and the company is CCP. He goes "ah right, that's those crazy guys in Iceland, right?".

'nuff said Wink
kieron
kieron

Posted - 2005.10.12 18:27:00 - [56]

Originally by: Darius Shakor
You realise that if it doesn't work, then there will be several planes full of angry fans heading there on the 20th for the fanfest.Laughing

Why do you think there is a party on the 23rd? Last I heard, there were plans for libations of the alcoholic nature, in addition to Devs acting silly, music and who knows what other shenanigans!

kieron
Community Manager,
EVE Online
CCP kieron
CCP kieron

Posted - 2005.10.12 18:27:00 - [57]

Originally by: Darius Shakor
You realise that if it doesn't work, then there will be several planes full of angry fans heading there on the 20th for the fanfest.Laughing

Why do you think there is a party on the 23rd? Last I heard, there were plans for libations of the alcoholic nature, in addition to Devs acting silly, music and who knows what other shenanigans!

kieron
Director of Community Relations, EVE Online
EVE Online, CCP Games
Email/Netfang
Look Ma, I'm in a Dev thread! Oh wait...
kieron
kieron

Posted - 2005.10.12 18:31:00 - [58]

Originally by: Bon Hedus
Can I have the old hardware?Cool

I think you'd have to stand in line to get the old stuff. Very Happy

On a more serious note, the older equipment will still be used. This is not a complete change over from old to new, but an upgrade of the existing equipment. Replacing all the old gear is an investment of major proportions and is under discussion. This is just the first step.

kieron
Community Manager,
EVE Online
CCP kieron
CCP kieron

Posted - 2005.10.12 18:31:00 - [59]

Originally by: Bon Hedus
Can I have the old hardware?Cool

I think you'd have to stand in line to get the old stuff. Very Happy

On a more serious note, the older equipment will still be used. This is not a complete change over from old to new, but an upgrade of the existing equipment. Replacing all the old gear is an investment of major proportions and is under discussion. This is just the first step.

kieron
Director of Community Relations, EVE Online
EVE Online, CCP Games
Email/Netfang
Look Ma, I'm in a Dev thread! Oh wait...
Dreez
Dreez

Posted - 2005.10.12 20:16:00 - [60]

As long as CCP dont change towards the 64bit technology im staying relaxed.
64bit is still very instable with software not fully developed
and drivers being lacking.

I might have ATUKO in my tag, but i have OC in my DNA

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,08s, ref 20240513/1004
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.